Agronomic guidance technology to ensure environmental sustainability
Global-level company SupPlant’s mission is to qualitatively & quantitatively improve performance for agro-businesses worldwide, supplying farmers and agriculturists with up-to-date and actionable agronomic knowledge that changes the basic concept of irrigation practices.
According to WorldBank.org, in most of the world’s regions, 70% of water is used for agriculture. Close to 2050, when our planet will be feeding approximately 9 billion, people will need a 50% increase in agricultural production and a 15% increase in water retractions. Therefore, ensuring environmental sustainability and intelligent water management for precision irrigation is more than essential. Fortunately, SupPlant’s unique plant recognition technology (an advanced AI-powered precision farming platform) can save water on a global scale while maximizing water use efficiency, increasing yields, and boosting agribusinesses’ productivity.
SupPlant’s unique AI-powered system uses an advanced algorithm that analyzes large amounts of live data (collected over 1500 growing seasons) from plants, soil, and weather sensors. Then, it converts it into irrigation recommendations and actionable insights. With that in mind, SupPlant’s unique platform was supposed to support highly frequent user operation and data management with significant load to meet the agricultural industry’s highest reliability and security standards.
Searching for a cost-efficient yet robust solution to improve its infrastructure in the AWS ecosystem, SupPlant turned to ProfiSea as an AWS Certified Consulting Partner and Amazon RDS Service Delivery Partner to support the project and set up top-notch AWS-based architecture components highlighting the importance of maintenance, availability, operability, stability, reliability, and security improvements.
Building a cloud environment on AWS is always a good idea considering that Amazon Web Services accounts for over half of cloud service users, owns 34% of the global cloud market, as well as Netflix, Quora, NASA, Reddit, and Pinterest, like many other business giants, are hosted on AWS. In addition, AWS provides all the necessary infrastructure to make your entire system scalable and easy to manage.
Amazon Web Services offers numerous reliable, scalable, and affordable cloud computing services for dozens of industries. Additional compute power, virtual storage, databases, containers, cloud, blockchain, or other functionality — AWS has it all to help companies create sophisticated products easily and flexibly. AWS was the best choice for the project due to its effectiveness, convenience, and scalability. In addition, it suited the client’s goals perfectly, providing all necessary resources and services.
Reaching the goals
As a Consulting Partner in the AWS Partner Network, ProfiSea designed and implemented a well-architected SupPlant AWS-based environment improvement plan helping facilitate faster collaboration for SupPlant’s teams by taking care of the following DevOps tasks:
- Enabling high availability of SupPlant’s systems via various Availability Zones per Region
- Implementing well-engineered business logic for architecture operations
- Increasing deployment velocity (24.6% faster), provisioning and managing AWS-based architecture via IaC (infrastructure as code), and CI/CD practices using Terraform solution.
- Establishing data multi-operational mechanism of large data volumes
- Setting up automated system backups and an effective disaster recovery plan
- Improving performance via detecting and resolving critical stability issues like slow SQL queries, slow requests, capacity bottlenecks, and sources of memory bloat and leaks
- Ensuring the safety of sensitive data via Amazon RDS for MySQL’s encryption
- Ensuring continuous data reading, data analytics, and reporting processes
- Increasing data processing speed and welcoming unlimited storage capabilities via porting ELK to AWS OpenSearch
- Guaranteeing and upholding a 99.999% uptime to increase SupPlant’s systems stability to 98.5% from 83.4%
- Upgrading scalability of the architecture’s components via moving batch workloads to AWS Batch
- Improving infrastructure maintainability and operability due to well-rounded automation of previously manual processes, which allowed to increase SupPlant’s teams’ efficiency by 68%
- Setting up continuous monitoring, notification systems, and continuous vulnerability checks for architecture workloads via AWS CloudFormation templates.
- Upgrading visibility and control over SupPlant’s cloud infrastructure via Amazon CloudWatch, and AWS CloudTrail services that, together with Grafana/Prometheus solutions, ensure continuous monitoring and alerting. In Addition, Profisea provides SupPlant with NOC support to monitor, maintain and optimize the network 24/7.
- Addressing a broad scope of operational challenges resulting in notable cloud cost reduction by 17.9%.
Profisea continues to work with SupPlant providing a remote NOC Monitoring unit that enables 24/7 technical support for the customer’s team. Profisea’s NOC experts monitor all platform processes, infrastructure, and transactions daily with no exceptions. They also regularly test the platform’s basic functionality, checking whether everything works as intended.
The Profisea team continues to work with SupPlant to improve their systems and infrastructure for greater stability and availability. Our plans for future collaborations include improvements to monitoring, developing new AI modules, and the IoT flow. In addition, we plan to implement the DataDog monitoring system, optimize processes & expenses, connect new modules to applications, and improve testing processes.
AWS and third-party services used:
- AWS RDS for MySQL
- AWS Lambda
- AWS OpenSearch
- AWS Batch
- AWS S3
- AWS SNS
- AWS CloudWatch
- AWS CloudFormation
- AWS Route53
- AWS Secrets Manager
- AWS EKS
- AWS ECR
- AWS Certificate Manager
- AWS IAM
- AWS EC2
- AWS ECS
SupPlant experts developed an innovative AI-powered data collection and management platform that handles large data volumes, in no small part thanks to using easy-to-setup & operate AWS services. Since moving to AWS and partnering with Profisea, SupPlant has ensured that their platform’s been run in a stable, scalable, and highly-available environment. As a result, SupPlant’s experts have been able to reduce their monthly spending, save time and achieve more stability. Moreover, a well-designed and implemented AWS-based architecture improvement plan helped notably increase operational efficiency and free time to focus on critical tasks for highly talented SupPlant teams.
DevOps boutique company trusted by Market Leaders
ProfiSea is an Israeli DevOps and Cloud boutique company that implements best practices of GitOps, DevSecOps, and Kubernetes-based Cloud environments deployment automation and provides FinOps premium services using a unique AI-based Cloud management platform.
Our mission is to help technology-driven companies and organizations connect all the dots between business, development, and operations to maximize performance, reduce costs and waste, shorten time to market, and create an agile application life cycle. No two clients are alike, so we develop customized, unique strategies based on their particular needs.